Friday, January 19, 2007

My Journey in El Salvador Parte Cuatro

Hola,

Well, I've been back here in Colorado for awhile now. I will try not to make this too long, but there are many things to cover.

My last email was right before we went to the village of Pappaturo. It was a very eye-opening experience. Cliche term, but I do feel much more aware than I was previously.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to experience things as fully as I would have liked, as I got sick a little after we got there. No, I did not directly drink the water. Other people in the delegation also got sick. I
definitely got the worst of it (I'm still not 100% back). This could have happened partially because I ran into some rocks in the ocean and got some pretty bad scrapes and a cut on the bottom of my foot, which might have weakened my immune system a little bit. Whatever the case, I ended up staying in the Campo on Tuesday and missing out on part of the trip.

Pappaturo is an amazing village. The community there is so strong. Everyone that we interacted with was loving and caring, and also very understanding of those of us who didn't know much Spanish. Even being sick I felt like I was part of the community, as people came to check on me, and I learned later that members of the community had been asking other people in our delegation how I was doing. I really wish I had the
opportunity to spend more time with the people there, and at least try to talk with them, but even without that it was a powerful experience.

It was really saddening to me to hear that they only get a priest once or twice a year, except for funerals and weddings, and supposedly the priest charges an unnecessary amount for his services. On the one hand I'm amazed to see such a strong community, but I would wish that God was a bigger part. Given the community that they have already built, I think the depth that following Jesus can bring would be a sight to behold.

After our stay in Pappaturo we returned to San Salvador. The next days were packed as we visited the "ruins" of San Andreas, a Mayan site and learned a little about Mayan spirituality and how it is currently
manifesting itself. Afterwards we went to the UCA (Central American University) a Jesuit institution where the 6 Jesuit priests, and the housekeeper and her daughter were murdered. We heard from Dean Brackley, a Jesuit from America who went down to El Salvador to take the place of one of the murdered priests. He gave us a little bit of the intellectual context we need to return to America.

The evening was finished with a party at the San Francisco de Asis parish where we had a band ("Grupo Mayas"... the Andes sort of Pipe music often seen at local fairs etc.) and then watched some of the youth breakdance. It was a memorable event and I was struck by the simple beauty and joy that existed as our two groups came together and danced.

The next day, after we had packed up we heard the story of Carolina y Damián, our hosts, told by Damián. I hadn't realized how involved he was with the guerrilla movement and had been captured and tortured. It was shocking for me to say the least to realize that this quiet reserved man was so involved.

Next, we visited the memorial wall for those who have been killed. It is similiar to the Vietnam wall in our own country, and it is not yet completed, and there are many names which will not be remembered.

After some quick last minute shopping we were off to the airport, and parted ways with Mateo our wonderful guide.

In the days since, in between getting ready for school and recovering from being sick, I'm not sure if there is much for me to add. I know I will continue to think about El Salvador and figure out how I'm going to stay involved, whether that be in the simple fact of being more aware and sharing stories and learning about what continues to go on there, or perhaps something more active. I don't know. Already now I feel the weight of my life here settling in, my own comfort level returning and my desire to focus back on what I have left here.

It's somewhat difficult to realize how quickly the experience seems to be falling away. It was deeply moving, but so are other parts of my life here that I perhaps do not realize are such. I hope that at the very least I remain aware of how blessed I am.

Hasta Luego,

-Daniel James

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home