Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Journey in El Salvador Parte Tres

Hey Everyone,

I typed up a nice email explaining the day, but then my email decided to be a peice of crap so I lost it. Hopefully I can capture all of it (possibly shorter haha).

First, This will be my last email for a little while. We are going to the village of Pappaturas near Sugitoto (pardon the spellings, don´t have my iternerary in front of me). We will be spending the next three nights there so I will not be able to check email until I´m back. I may be able to call but I don´t know because the phone system is really weird with different phones only working with certain phone cards etc.

The community I mentioned in my last email was La Cuchilla.

Today was a fairly relaxing day. We went to Mass at the Parish San Francisco de Asis, where we painted the mural and have been hanging out with the youth their at their development center (where the mural itself is located). Afterwards we went to the beach with a few of the youth and had a great time there.

The bad part about the beach is that the one time I went into the water I got caught in the undertoe a bit and met with some rocks, leading to bad scrapes on both my knees and my feet, along with a deep cut on the sole of my left foot which will not be pleasant for walking the rest of the trip.

The good things is that I finished my second book and was able to rest quite well (until the rock incident).

The Mass was very good. The Priest´s homily was based off of the gospel reading about the Magi who came to visit Jesus awhile after he was born. He spoke about how the Magi followed a star to find Jesus, and spoke to us about how we need to find our star for the age, and how our star should be the poor and oppressed as that is who Jesus was and lived with.

He also spoke about how the Magi left by a different path because of the corruption of Herod. He explained how Herod is much like the current president of El Salvador and like Bush. And it struck me when he mentioned that Herod was a puppet for Rome, just like many leaders of Latin American and Middle Eastern countires are puppets for the U.S. (Saddam for instance, not to mention Bin Laden, although neither tolerated it forever... not that it excuses their actions).

I took communion at Mass. The Priest spoke about how Jesus did not come to create division, and if that means we need to remove structures and religion, so be it. Also, my concience was clear about it. It´s between me and God anyway, so I would appriciate not getting flack when I get back, but I would be glad to talk about it.

Finally, please keep praying for us. We need it. Pray for me, and the 15 other people, and all of those we have interacted with and will interact with.

El Salvador is a beautiful place and I really want to come back, perhaps even this summer? Please pray especially for me to discern how I fit in El Salvador in the coming days, whether it be with an organization like Project Salvador in Denver, or either a short or long term missionary here. (To my church friends... mission trip possibility?? I have contacts and I´m sure we could get more through the Vineyard).

Otherwise, I will talk to you all after I´m back on the 13th.

I love yah all, and if I missed anything I will include it later.

-Daniel

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home