Saturday, January 06, 2007

My journey in El Salvador Parte Dos

Buenas Noches Amigos!

Well, it´s my third day here in El Salvador now. It has been a very moving experience thus far.

We just returned from a small community, I don´t recall the name at the moment but I will include it later. It is situated in El Salvador´s ´last lung´ which is a forest that is slowly being taken over by developers. They are actually right next to a new Mega Mall in between two highways.

The community has existed for about 60 years, however they have been corralled in this small area because of the development. The municipalities have no desire to legalize their presence, instead they want to remove them in order to create an ecological preserve, to somewhat save face for the acres and acres of land they have destroyed.

Speaking of the Mall, I found it absolutely disgusting. It was worse than any mall that I have been in Colorado. The prices are exactly the same as in America, and we are talking about El Salvador. Today we compared the prices at a farmers market with the mall and the difference is crazy.

Unfortunately I have to go soon so this is going to be cut somewhat short. The point being, I was very moved by the community. It felt to me to be the first tierra santa... holy ground... that I have experienced here in Salvador. Beyond even the resting place of Oscar Romero etc. I´m not sure what I might be able to do in the future, but I feel connected to this community. To those of you in my Church, it would be my hope that perhaps we can do something to support them, at least by allowing me to distribute information about the community to everyone once I recieve some, if not financially, and of course in our prayers.

For now I need to go. Continue keeping me in your prayers, along with this community. I love you all and I am also trying to make space to pray for you also.

Hasta Luego

-Daniel

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home