Saturday, August 12, 2006

The end of a Journey...

So today (or technically yesterday) was my last official day at the St Francis Center.

I have to say, I'm a bit sad about it. It hit me about 4:00 or so as I was folding towels that it was my last day.

Now, I am going to make an effort to make it there at least once a month, if not more if my schedule will allow. School comes first though.

I'm glad for the opportunity to have a nice break before school starts. Working at the SFC has taken its toll in many ways. First, it meant really early days, and I'm by nature a night owl. But more than that, I have experienced a lot of mental, emotional and spiritual stress. Working with this kind of population is difficult in many ways. Some people are simply jerks and that makes things hard, while others break your heart because of the circumstances they find themselves in.

So I need to rest and get ready for the year, however, despite how difficult SFC could be at some points, there is much that I'm going to miss. I'm really going to miss the people. This includes the staff, volunteers and some of the guests. There is such a strong sense of community among both the workers and among the guests. I have to say I'm even going to miss the ones that got on my nerves, life isn't going to be the same without them.

The staff at SFC has such a strong spiritual grounding which has really pushed me and helped me to grow over the summer. This king of environment is something that I want in whatever kind of "work" I find myself in.

It's not going to be the same, that's for sure... but that isn't so bad really. I believe it is healthy for me to mourn this loss. Although, that includes moving on with my life. There might be even greater opportunities that I might miss in the future that I would have missed out on had I stayed with SFC in some fashion.

That doesn't mean it isn't going to be hard. I'm really looking forward to my classes and my work study job at the University Ministries, but I can already feel that one part is going to be missing. But that's natural isn't it? You give your heart to something and some of it stays there. I can imagine that it will be the same once my time at Regis is over, and whatever other events that will come into my life.

I suppose as a slight benefit, it has moved me to submit more of myself to God... to be thankful for the times I had and what I learned, and trust that what God will take me to in the future will be even better (of course, I can't always discern when something is going to be ultimately better for me).

So now I get to take the next step forward and see where my foot lands.

God Bless the St. Francis Center...

-Daniel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home