Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And So it Begins Anew

Well, I have gotten through my second day at the St. Francis Center. I'm growing to like the place. I still have a reservation or two, but I'm actually content with that because I want to grow and not be completely comfortable. There are some really awesome people, and the "guests" are for the most part very courteous and understanding.

I know when I have more experience and have more time to write I will be putting out something on my thoughts on homelessness. I know my view has already shifted far past the stereotypes but I know I will be going further.

It's going to be hard. In fact, the hardest part actually might be that I have to get up at around 6:00 in the morning and work from 7-3. It's nice to get off that early, but I'm such a night owl that I'm a bit sad about it. I've been going and going for the last two days so I haven't had a chance to feel like I've missed something. I do hope I will make more time to read, however, this week will be very busy. There are many things that our community wants to try out so I know I will be keeping myself busy, which will be nice. I just need to make sure not to completely neglect all my other friends and interested outside of the program. I know that my trip to Israel with my family and other people from my 'cradle' church in the middle of the whole thing is going to be helpful for that.

I've also made a commitment to myself to cut down on my computer use. I didn't bring my computer so that means all I have are mooching off of other computers and PDA, which will allow me to stay connected fairly well. The only thing that I'm going to really miss is Instant Messaging since that is how I keep in contact with many people. So, I'm going to have to resort to other methods of communication with them.

Because I don't have a car, I have shifted to biking to St. Francis every morning. So far it has been very painful, but I know I'm going to grow to enjoy it once my body begins to get used to it. I hurt now, but I know my body will be much better off this summer, not to mention the change in my diet for the better which will hopefully be something I carry with me after the program is over.

I'm hoping I might be able to work in going to another small group through my church. I really feel like I'm missing out, especially with how intense things are going to be this summer, I really need a place to be monitored and to decompress outside of the community. Obviously I have my family and good friends but I need a little bit more. This is especially important to me since I'm going to have to give up the Monday night Nooma thing I was doing since we are going to be meeting as a community that night. At first I was really sad about that, but thankfully God gave me the wisdom to see that it was from him and that what I'm going to be doing in this community for the better part of the next 10 weeks is what God wants for me now.

I would talk more, but I'm going to go with my old community for our last meal of the year. I will post again when I get a chance. Until then, farewell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home